With an increasing number of people having to migrate from islands to Male' each year, the housing crisis in Male’ is becoming a bigger issue by the day. To address this issue in the greater Male' area, the Ministry of National Planning, Housing, and Infrastructure has opened applications for land and housing units in the Male' region.
While speaking at the ceremony held at the President’s Office, the Minister of National Planning, Housing & Infrastructure Mohamed Aslam also launched a portal which was specifically created for this housing scheme known as ‘Gedhoruverin’ portal.
The application process for 3,000 land plots and 4,000 flats from the greater Male' area was opened on 26 June 2022. According to the Ministry, these plots will be given from Hulhumale’ and Gulhifalhu.
In order to apply for one of the 3,000 land plots, applicants must fulfill the requirements as below:
● Not to be resident in any place other than Male'.
● Must be over 18 years of age
● Should not have more than 600 square feet of land registered in the Male' region
● If a land less than 600 square feet is registered in the Male' region, surrender to state under the policy
● Should not be registered under the social housing for the government
● Let go of personal land available from inheritance in Male' region
● Must not have own property that is under applicants name or sold to anyone else in the Male’ region.
In addition to the requirements for the housing plots, the requirements for the application of the flats were also announced:
● Must be a Male’ resident who does not have more than 600 square feet of land in their own name.
● People from other islands who have lived in Male’ city for more than 15 years.
Following the announcement of the application process and requirements, many people took to social media to express their dissatisfaction with the requirement that applicants not be a resident in any place other than Male’.